Welcome to Budget Bootcamp: our series on whipping your spending into shape, SOLDIER!
*ahem* Moving on...
Today we will be discussing how to streamline your shopping list into three easy steps:
• Monthly Meal Planning
• Inventory
• Making the List
Why so many steps, you ask? Why not just do a quick check, a scribbled list, and squeeze in shopping with the other errands that need to be done? Because Poor Prior Planning (henceforth known as PPP) is the reason why your meals are running short at the middle of the month yet your grocery bill makes you die a little inside.
Let's break it down:
• Monthly Meal Planning- Print out (or draw) a calendar for the month. One day per month in the store (as opposed to several weekly visits) means less chances for impulse buys and, let's face it- who really wants to spend more time in the grocery store?
My meal planner looks something like this (click to enlarge):
Now, does this mean I feed my family spaghetti with sauce on days 1, 2, and 3? No, this is just an easy way to bulk up the month and see what I'm working with (and helps with the list making later.) On any given day (time and cravings allowing) we choose what we want to eat and make it- the pizza tends to be the first, though.
As skinny as my list looks, I do make sure that our meals are complimented with vegetables for balanced meal. You can plan healthy meals on a budget!
• Inventory- Make a list of everything in your pantry, fridge, and cupboards that can be used toward making a meal. This prevents buying duplicates of items you don't need (like the 20 pounds of sugar in my pantry- but we'll not discuss that) and the dollars saved add up at the checkout counter.
• Making the List- With my meal planner in hand making the list goes quickly and smoothly. When I'm done figuring dinners (not forgetting breakfasts, lunches, and snacks) I move on to the other needs of my household. Pet food, cleaning supplies, toiletries, baby needs, ect- I just make a quick run through the house and make my list as I go along.
***
Why the process?
It cuts down on multiple grocery trips- and impulse buys. Which would you prefer: getting it all done in one shot or having to rush to the store when you realize that you forgot your coffee creamer?
An inventory? Are you serious?
Count how many bottles of ketchup you have in your fridge/pantry. Go ahead, I'll wait. *sits on aforementioned bags of sugar*
You feed your kids ramen?
You bet your bippy, skippy! As a mother, I wear many hats... and a short-order cook paper hat is not one of them.
But what about the-
That's all the time we have for today! Please comment below with your questions and I'll be glad to answer them asap.
Thanks for reading! AT EASE, soldier!


No comments:
Post a Comment